- Cultural Developments in American Culture - Zooming in on Marriage
- Sexual Revolution of 1960s and 70s - Acceptance of Premarital Sex as a Cultural Norm
- Current Trends
- Sanction of same sex union
- Wider acceptance of extra-marital sex (open marriages)
- Influence of Darwin
- Influence of Freud
- Where we're headed?
- Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
- Marriage no longer needed as a cultural norm?
- Reductio ad absurdum (absurd conclusions = something must be wrong with the premises)
- Cultural Developments in Genesis - Zooming in on Marriage
- Genesis 2 Model
- One Man
- One Woman
- One Flesh (Exclusive sexual union)
- Departures from the Model
- Premarital Sex
- Extramarital Sex
- Open Marriages
- Multiple Partners
- Trial Marriages
- Homosexual Practice
- Rape / Forced Sex
- Jesus Didn't Have to Address All the Departures Since He endorsed the Genesis 2 Model (Matthew 19)
- Departure Examples in Genesis
- Disasters of Polygamy (A Biblical Critique)
- Development of Prostitution
- Examples of Sexual Entrapment
- Examples of Rape
- Examples of Homosexual practice
- Examples of Incest
- "Sexuality is beautiful when it's kept within Genesis 2, but man, can it get ugly when it gets outside of that."
- Genesis 2 Model
- Teaching and Preaching the Standard of MONOGAMY
- Reinforcing Genesis 2 often
- Connecting Matthew 19 and Ephesians 5 to the original model (since Jesus and Paul do)
- Tastefully handling the sexual departures in Genesis as examples of what happens when the standard is compromised
- Use the Genesis departures to also preach GRACE
We never completely endorse all the thoughts of any human teacher. Make sure you put all resources through the Berean Test (Acts 17:11).
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is a fictional dystopian novel set in a future society that genetically engineers humans, designing them to fit into certain social classes from the beginning. They are brainwashed in a number of ways, including the sexual message that "everyone belongs to everyone else." It's a haunting look at a society trying to eradicate marriage and traditional families.
If you want to read a synopsis of Sigmund Freud's worldview (and it's a depressing one), read Civilization and Its Discontents. I will warn you that he is an atheist and tries to explain the evolution of belief in God as a psychological "infantile helplessness" in "primitive man." Freud boils most of life down to 2 instincts - those of the ego (self-preservation and aggression toward others) and those of the libido (sexual cravings). His main thesis is that we harm ourselves by placing restrictions on the ego and the libido.
What are some of the fronts on which we can lovingly fight this battle for restoring the honor of Genesis 2 monogamy in our culture? We appreciate your feedback! Please submit your comments in a spirit of love and edification.